Guam is telling its citizens how to survive a nuclear attack
Updated 1422 GMT (2222 HKT) August 11, 2017
Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds.
(CNN)No one really knows how close or how far we are from a possible nuclear conflict with North Korea. But officials in Guam, the tiny island territory that Kim Jong Un has threatened to attack, aren't keeping citizens in the dark.
- "Make a list of potential concrete shelters near your home, workplace or school."
- "Do not look at the flash or fireball -- It can blind you."
- "Lie flat on the ground and cover your head. If the explosion is some distance away, it could take 30 seconds or more for the blast wave to hit."
- "When possible, take a shower with lots of soap and water...do not scrub or scratch the skin."
- "Do not use conditioner in your hair because it will bind radioactive material to you hair."