- One reporter took an online vision test and an in-person exam and compared the results
- Experts don't see eye-to-eye when it comes to online vision tests
(CNN)It happened again: You've misplaced your only pair of glasses. Or maybe you've run through your last box of contacts. In order to replace them, you need a new prescription, and that means, an appointment with your eye doctor.
The difference between vision tests and eye exams
Inspired by a patient to go online
Taking an online vision test
- Online vision testing may be appropriate for adults, 18 to 39, without severe corrective eyeglass prescriptions and symptoms of eye disease.
- Online testing is not recommended for people under 18, or 40 and older.
- People with symptoms of eye disease should see an ophthalmologist, a medical doctor who treats eye disease and conditions.